Some questions about how skills work

Was wondering how multiple taunts or taunt + marked work generally.

If two enemies are taunting, my AI will attack both of them normally or will they attack just the latest taunter?

What about taunt and marked (all allies attack marked target). Do taunt prevent marked target from being attacked, do marked prevent enemy taunt from protecting the marked target or both target get priority and AI will attack both of them?

What about multiple shields? I know the same skill will override itself, even if its used by another player (Gammond’s heal will override another Gammond’s in coop, instead of stacking, as far as I know). But can Butter and Matador shields stack? Or do they override each other?

2 Likes

These are all really good questions…for that matter, why cant we see a timer on ability cool downs? I found out recently in testing that it takes 60seconds for frank’s bronze still to charge without doing damage (20 seconds if you hit every shot). I don’t think we should have to figure this stuff out, it would be nice if it was included in the tooltip…

I managed to gather some answers today, so I’ll post them here!

Was wondering how multiple taunts or taunt + marked work generally.

The AI has background logic for which targets it picks. When an enemy hero taunts or is marked, that hero is moved into its own targeting “pool” and your AI now select only heroes from that pool to target. If there are multiple heroes taunting or being marked, the AI applies its normal targeting logic except only to heroes in the Taunt/Marked pool.

So no, a Taunt does not necessarily make enemies switch off a Marked target, but it does open up the targeting pool, thereby spreading damage away from the Marked target.

What about multiple shields? I know the same skill will override itself, even if its used by another player (Gammond’s heal will override another Gammond’s in coop, instead of stacking, as far as I know). But can Butter and Matador shields stack? Or do they override each other?

Shields from different sources stack, but shields from the same source will override. So Butter cannot double shield himself, but his shield will stack with Vanguard and Phalanx and Halo, etc.

Shields also have the concept of “priority” and highest priority shields are consumed first. Priority is dictated by which priority setting would make the shield the most useful. Razorback’s shield, for example, has highest priority because you want that shield to break first for it’s detonation. Halo’s shield, on the other hand, has a lower priority because you want it to be as intact as possible to give it the biggest heal. It wouldn’t be terribly useful if Halo’s shield was consumed before Razorback’s.

Shields with the same priority are consumed oldest to newest. We’ll look into exposing the shield priority in the skill’s description so you guys can better understand the logic.

Gammond’s heal overriding a different Gammond heal in Co-op might be a bug, we’ll look into it!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I just got a new question by playing Galante. His Joust shields him according to damage done. but damage cant be higher than current hp (meaning, you cant overkill) Using a 20k damage on a 500hp target would pop a 500 damage number. What shield would Galante receive there? 20k or 500?

Don’t waste jouste on low health guys. It’s a Shield equal to damage dealt.

in your example: it is only gonna be 500.